Monday, August 24, 2009

Clear sky, cool temps, and SUNBEAMS

It was in August of last year that I stopped for sunbeams along this stretch of road, so I'm not surprised I'm stopping for sunbeams once again in August.

This image has a lot of blue light matching the sudden cool temps. Fall is on its way even though the dry air isn't here yet. Of course, we wouldn't have the sunbeams if there wasn't so much moisture in the air.

 


The few spots of light and warmth contrast with the coolness, a fitting visual for the sensations I felt riding through the shadows and bright spots.

As I travelled a few pedal strokes around the corner, the scene below unfolded.

 


These images are less than 100 yards and less than one minute apart, yet feel so different.

As I stopped to take these photos, a neighbor paused her walk to chat. How often can car commuters say this?


Commute Summary


Round Trip Distance: 18.7
Number of Cyclists seen: 30 (14 inbound and 16 outbound)
In-bound Route: Goofin' 9.6
Out-bound Route: Emory via Clifton
Weather: I was getting on my bike whether I came into the office or not. "Must ... Get ... Outside" sort of day.
Posted by Picasa

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 8/24/09, 9:52 PM, Blogger BarryHall said...

Jett:
Saw you today on your inbound route. This is interesting for two reasons:
First, I want to be counted on your "cyclists seen" inbound list.
Second, you were headed south on the boulevard-y section of Central Park Pl., and it appeared as if a left-turning car had just rather cut you off, or something. You were spinning pretty frantically, as if to catch said vehicle to query their driver's license credentials. As usual, I could have been mistaken and your speedy pedaling could have been normal.
Also good to see you because I think I’ve ever only encountered you actually commuting to work one other time.

 
At 8/24/09, 9:53 PM, Blogger BarryHall said...

p.s. The second photo in your post doesn't seem to be working. Interested, I am.

 
At 8/24/09, 10:20 PM, Blogger Jett said...

Second photo fixed. Thanks for finding my error. It looked fine to me but I'm the only person for which it would look fine.

Inbound, I head north on Central Park (from Highland/Baker to Ponce at the Krispy Kreme). I was challenged for the right lane by a car making a U-turn in front of me as I crossed Angier, but that was in the afternoon that I was headed south.

 
At 8/25/09, 10:07 AM, Blogger BarryHall said...

Ooh, sorry, Jett . . . meant "outbound" on your commute. I guess I was thinking of home as the destination, or something.
Anyway, I caught a mid-maneuvre glimpse of the U-turner . . .then your speedy retort.

Thanks for the pictures, as always.

 
At 8/25/09, 11:11 AM, Blogger Apertome said...

I'm no fan of humidity, but when it results in scenes like those, at least there's some redeeming value.

Great shots. And I remember the one from last year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home