Thursday, December 31, 2009

Putting the money where my bicycle is

It isn't often that anyone asks me to "put my money where my mouth is". I don't take bets and it is not very often I make financial contributions to any organizations.

I just made an exception.

The Atlanta Bicycle Coalition -- Atlanta's oldest and largest cycling advocacy organization -- is in the middle of a fundraiser for 2010.

Now, I've been helping out with ABC's Courteous Mass, participate in the bicycle counts, and I serve as an Atlanta "Bike Buddy". Donating my time for the cycling cause has been easy because I can see the results. With a financial contribution, it isn't always so clear. A big reason I've given money to this fundraiser is the list of ABC projects I know I'll be supporting in 2010:
  • Starter Bikes is getting ready to offer low-cost working bicycles to those looking for a good value. I like this project, not just because Georgia Tech students are involved, but because I frequently find myself recommending people to get an inexpensive bike to start with so they can learn what they like and don't like before spending too much money. I can find a good deal on CraigsList, but for the less-experienced cyclist, Starter Bikes is the way to find a good deal. My contribution (and yours too) will help provide the funds needed to get this project rolling.
  • ABC's Bike Classes are already one of the best resources for cyclists in Atlanta. Your contributions will make these classes more available. I've got a rule about not recommending anything I haven't tried myself, so I'm walking the line here. My financial contribution allows me to ask you to contribute to ABC, but I guess I'll have attend the class this year so I can start asking you to take the classes ;).
This is just a sample of the projects ABC is working toward. A more complete list can be found on their website.

And now, I'll ask you to put your money where your bicycle is. Go to this page and make your donation. There have been 3-4 people who have donated in the half hour since I started putting together this post.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home